Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Gastric banding

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Gastric banding

    Has anybody on here had or know somebody personally that has had gastric banding? I'm very overweight and have been considering this for a while now. I've done a lot of reading on it and talked to my doctor about it but I thought it might help to hear about other people's experiences with it. I realize it's not as serious as gastric bypass but I'm still a little nervous about it. I'd appreciate any info be it on open forum or in a pm.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    I have one friend that had it done. It enabled her to lose about 60 pounds in one year, and she's still losing a little at a time.
    It won't make her a stick figure but it helped her get some of the bulk off. Can't say she really had any bad side effects from the surgery - is safer than the bypass.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    Dont you have to be a certain amount overweight before you can have the surgery?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    I think that you have to be at or over 100 pounds or more. I have been considering this too and have even had some of the tests and things to get it done but most of the time you have to pay the surgeon before the surgery (even with insurance) and that will take a a lil bit to save up. I do recommend Dr. Hodge and the Surgical Group of JC. http://www.surgicalgroupofjc.com.
    They are really nice and personable. Hope this helps.
    http://www.obesityhelp.com is also a good website that you can go to that has information about other types of surgery and forums that will explain the pros and cons.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    IMO I would rather opt for a good diet and a tredmill. Not as many risks involved and cheaper.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    While I am saving the money for the surgery thats what I think I will do (diet and treadmill). If it works then the money saved would be great for vacation money.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    I have a friend thats had it done pretty successfully. He has lost about 80 pounds I believe in the last year. I also new a guy that graduated a few years ahead of me at RC, that passed away from the bypass process. Quite sad, and definitely a dangerous procedure.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    had a pastry chef who had it, and it didn't help him.

    he did the gastric and came very close to dying. he tried to start cleaning himself out two days before surgery instead of one day like he was supposed to. he got very dehydrated and then all kinds of things started going wrong. he was in ICU for about two weeks afterwards.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    100 pounds? I've got that covered. I could lose 150 pounds and still be ok.

    Treadmill? I've tried it. I'm so out of shape and my weight is so bad that just walking a few minutes makes me feel like my back is breaking in half.

    I'm being referred to a Dr. Kramer (I have no clue how he spells his name). I'm told he's done a beaucoup of these surgeries and has even had the surgery himself.

    And yeah, the bypass is some pretty rough stuff. Stories like what I'm hearing here and similar ones I've heard elsewhere helped me make the easy choice no to go bypass.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gastric banding

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some Bald Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm being referred to a <u>Dr. Kramer</u> (I have no clue how he spells his name).</div></div>

    Better be careful with him--may be a proctologist. I hear he has personalized license plates on his car that say "ASSMAN".
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •